Lancaster University: Exploring Reviews, Rankings, and More
Lancaster University, renowned for academic excellence, offers a diverse range of programmes, emphasising practical experience through placements. With a strong commitment to lifelong support, the Careers and Employability Service enhances graduates’ prospects. The university fosters a vibrant community, encouraging entrepreneurship through initiatives like “Work in Progress.” Global recognition, high rankings, and picturesque surroundings contribute to Lancaster’s esteemed reputation.
Table of Contents
Lancaster University Summary
Lancaster University, established in 1964, is a distinguished public research institution situated in the picturesque city of Lancaster, England. Renowned for its strong emphasis on research and high levels of student satisfaction, the university boasts a modern campus with state-of-the-art facilities, including nine distinct colleges that contribute to a vibrant and inclusive community. With a stellar academic reputation, particularly in STEM fields, social sciences, and the arts, Lancaster consistently ranks well in national and international university league tables.
The institution is committed to interdisciplinary research through various research centres and institutes. Its collegiate system fosters a sense of belonging and community among students, and the university actively promotes an international perspective, attracting a diverse student population. Lancaster’s location offers easy access to cities like Manchester and Liverpool, as well as the scenic beauty of the nearby Lake District National Park.
Lancaster University Rankings 2024
Lancaster University stands out among more than 120 UK universities, maintaining a strong position within the top 15 in major UK league tables. In the Complete University Guide for 2024, it secures the 10th spot, while the Guardian University Guide 2024 places it at 11th. Furthermore, the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024 recognises Lancaster University’s excellence, ranking it 14th. These consistent high rankings across diverse guides affirm the university’s commitment to academic excellence, research, and an exceptional student experience. Prospective students seeking a reputable and well-regarded institution can find assurance in Lancaster University’s impressive standing in the UK higher education landscape. With regards to job prospects, Lancaster University is currently among the top 15 in the UK.
Lancaster University Courses and Programmes
Lancaster University offers a wide range of courses and programmes across various disciplines. The university’s academic structure includes undergraduate and postgraduate studies, as well as research opportunities. Currently, the more popular programmes include computer science, data science, law, medicine, among others.
Art & Design
Lancaster University’s Fine Art and Design degree offers a unique blend of fine art practice and contemporary design. In the Fine Art component, students can seamlessly integrate fine art practice with art history/theory, emphasising creative and technical skills in painting, drawing, sculpture, digital art, and their intersections. With no prescribed ‘house style,’ the focus is on individual expression and critical thinking in fine art.
The design aspect of the degree adopts an innovative approach, extending beyond traditional disciplines like graphic or product design. Taught by leading design researchers, students learn to conduct thorough design research, addressing complex societal issues through both physical and digital responses. Strong emphasis is placed on developing visualisation skills to present design work professionally. The Lancaster Institute for the Contemporary Arts offers interdisciplinary modules that enhance knowledge, skills, and understanding applicable to both art and design disciplines.
Drama, Theatre, & Performance
Lancaster University’s Drama, Theatre, and Performance course offers an exploration of cutting-edge contemporary theatre with a focus on leveraging performance to effect meaningful societal change. Students benefit from close affiliations with key creative and cultural institutions, including Lancaster Arts, the Dukes Theatre, and prominent professional theatre companies.
Graduating from this top-tier university equips students with a CV enriched by practical experience gained through annual participation in group-devised projects, culminating in a final degree show. The programme takes place in a department distinguished by two consecutive years of outstanding 100% student satisfaction, as indicated by the National Student Survey in 2021 and 2022, attesting to the high-quality learning environment and the fulfilment of students’ academic and creative aspirations.
Lancaster University Management School stands out as a highly acclaimed institution, earning strong recognition across various business school rankings, including commendations from the Financial Times, QS, The Times, and The Guardian. The school is notably positioned as 1st in the UK for research power in Business and Management Studies, according to the REF 2021. It further solidifies its global standing, ranking 69th worldwide and 11th in the UK for Business and Economics in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings by subject 2023. Lancaster University consistently secures a place in the top 10 in the Complete University Guide 2024, and its triple accreditation by AACSB, EQUIS, and the Association of MBAs, along with holding the Small Business Charter, underscores its commitment to excellence in business education and research.
Lancaster University Entry Deadline
The deadline for most applicants to meet the conditions of their offer is Wednesday 4 September 2024.
Lancaster University Entry Requirements
Lancaster University maintains rigorous yet inclusive entry standards to ensure that students entering its diverse academic community are well-prepared for the challenges of their chosen courses. Entry requirements vary across programmes and include considerations such as academic qualifications, personal statements, and reference letters. It is strongly recommended that prospective students carefully review the specific requirements for their desired course on the official university website or UCAS portal. The university employs a comprehensive approach to assessing applicants, considering not only academic achievements but also the enthusiasm, skills, and potential that each candidate brings to their chosen field of study. By adhering to transparent and fair entry standards, Lancaster University aims to attract a dynamic and talented cohort of students eager to engage in transformative learning experiences.
Lancaster University Fees
As of the 2024/25 academic year, Lancaster University’s undergraduate tuition fee starts at £24,475 for a year, beginning in October. It’s important to note that tuition fees can vary depending on the specific programme of study and whether the student is a UK or international student. Additionally, universities may periodically review and adjust tuition fees, so it’s advisable to check the official university website or contact the admissions office.
Lancaster University Scholarships
Lancaster University offers the Global Scholarship for high-achieving international undergraduate applicants entering in the 2024 academic year. This scholarship is provided as a tuition fee waiver and amounts to £2,000 in each year of study for students joining Part 1 of the undergraduate programmes. Eligibility for the scholarship is based on entry grades, and applicants will be automatically considered for this funding when they apply. It’s important for prospective international students to review the specific terms and conditions outlined by the university regarding this scholarship. The automatic consideration simplifies the application process, making it more accessible for eligible candidates seeking financial support for their undergraduate studies at Lancaster University.
The international student scholarships for 2024 goes up to £13,300. Whereas the Management School MBA Scholarship goes up to £16,000. These are decided by merit and also through a comprehensive interview process by the university.
Lancaster University Facilities
Lancaster University’s Bailrigg campus offers a rich tapestry of art and culture with its Lancaster Arts initiative, encompassing a professional studio theatre, the Nuffield Theatre, renowned for hosting public performances of theatre, contemporary dance, and live art. The Peter Scott Gallery, a contemporary art gem, showcases the university’s international art collection, spanning Japanese and Chinese art, antiquities, twentieth-century British artists, and notable European prints.
The campus is also home to The Ruskin, housing the foremost collection of works by John Ruskin, a significant writer, artist, and social thinker. The Library provides a conducive academic study environment with an extensive collection of printed titles, welcoming all visitors. Beyond the cultural offerings, the campus boasts various amenities, including a dental practice, pharmacy, health centre, sports facilities, a vast 560-acre parkland campus, and a multi-faith centre, enhancing the overall university experience. Among others, the university is heavily investing in a cyber centre to further strengthen their cybersecurity programme. They recently recently announced a £19m investment into Security and Protection Science, on top of hiring more than 50 experts to support this programme.
Lancaster University Student Activities And Clubs
Lancaster University Accommodation
Lancaster University provides a diverse and extensive accommodation portfolio, consisting of approximately 6,700 bed spaces to cater to the housing needs of undergraduates, postgraduates, and families. With a focus on meeting different preferences and budgets, the university has earned recognition as the UK’s Best University Halls eight times since 2010 at the National Student Housing Awards. Most new undergraduates opt for on-campus living in their first year, appreciating the collegiate setup that facilitates friendship-building and easy settling.
The university features eight undergraduate colleges, creating smaller communities within the campus. The accommodation offerings encompass three main room categories: bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms (3,661 rooms), bedrooms with shared toilet/shower facilities (1,952 rooms), and self-contained studios equipped with private toilet/shower and a kitchenette (154 units). This diverse range ensures that students can find housing options that align with their preferences and needs.
Lancaster University Graduate Employment Rate
Lancaster University stands out in the realm of employability, securing the fourth position in the UK for total employability and surpassing all other research-intensive universities. The latest data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency reveals an impressive 97% of Lancaster graduates entering employment or pursuing further studies within six months of graduating. As part of its core mission, the university actively addresses the challenge of widening access, participation, progression, and achievement, emphasising student success in transitioning to work or advanced studies. Attracting a diverse student body, Lancaster has consistently been the preferred choice for students seeking a top-tier educational experience. The university also maintains a strong position in the top ten of UK university league tables and is recognised globally, ranking in the top one percent.
Lancaster University Alumni: See how the University is Changing the World Today
- Born: 1964 in the United Kingdom.
- Profession: English actor, director, and producer.
- Notable Roles: Gollum in “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, Caesar in the “Planet of the Apes” reboot, King Kong, Captain Haddock in “The Adventures of Tintin,” and Supreme Leader Snoke in “Star Wars.”
- Born: 1963 in the United Kingdom.
- Profession: English television presenter, journalist, and writer.
- Notable Work: Co-presenter on “Top Gear” from 2003 to 2015, co-presenter of “The Grand Tour” on Amazon Prime Video.
- Born: 1969 in the United Kingdom.
- Profession: English actor and narrator.
- Notable Roles: William in “The Witch,” Dagmer Cleftjaw in “Game of Thrones,” Amycus Carrow in “Harry Potter,” Chris Finch in “The Office,” and Nikolai Tarakanov in “Chernobyl.”
- Born: 1977 in the United Kingdom.
- Profession: British journalist and television presenter.
- Current Role: Political editor, newsreader, and deputy presenter for “Good Morning Britain.”
- Born: 1972 in France.
- Profession: French civil servant and politician.
- Current Role: Director-General of UNESCO since 2017, marking the second female leader in this position.
Experience the City of Lancaster
Experiencing the city of Lancaster offers a blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
- Historic Landmarks: Lancaster boasts a rich history, and you can explore historic landmarks such as Lancaster Castle, a medieval fortress with guided tours, and the Ashton Memorial, an iconic Edwardian monument in Williamson Park.
- Cultural Venues: Enjoy the cultural scene in this social city by visiting the Lancaster Grand Theatre for live performances or the Lancaster City Museum to delve into the area’s heritage. The Dukes, a cultural hub, offers theatre, cinema, and a creative space for the arts.
- Outdoor Spaces: Surround yourself with nature at Williamson Park, offering picturesque gardens, a butterfly house, and stunning views from the Ashton Memorial. The Lancaster Canal provides a peaceful setting for walks and boat trips. If you’re an outdoor person, don’t forget to visit Lake District and the Trough of Bowland as well!
- Quaint Streets and Markets: Wander through Lancaster’s charming streets, where you’ll find independent shops, cafes, and restaurants. Don’t miss the Lancaster Charter Market, one of the oldest in the country, offering a variety of goods.
- Lancaster Priory Church: Visit the Lancaster Priory Church, an impressive medieval church with a history dating back to the 11th century. The architecture and stained glass windows are worth exploring.
How much does it cost to live in Lancaster
Eating out (inexpensive meal)
Weekly grocery shop
University accommodation (per week)
Opportunities in Lancaster
Lancaster University provides comprehensive career support that extends beyond graduation. Here are some key aspects of the career advice and opportunities offered:
- Careers and Employability Service: Available to Lancaster graduates for life, the Careers and Employability Service offers ongoing support and resources for career development.
- Placement Opportunities: Degree programmes at Lancaster may include placement years or shorter work experience opportunities, allowing students to gain practical industry experience.
- Part-Time Work: Students have the option for paid, part-time work on campus or locally while studying, providing valuable skills and income.
- Work in Progress: Lancaster’s “Work in Progress” initiative is a community for entrepreneurs, change-makers, and innovators. It offers development opportunities, networking events, workshops, and more to nurture entrepreneurial spirits.
- Global Career Paths: Lancaster graduates have successfully transitioned to diverse and prestigious roles, including positions at global brands such as BBC, IBM, Deloitte, P&G, Disney, Reebok, Google, HSBC, and Warner Bros.
By integrating practical experiences, ongoing career support, and a network of successful alumni, Lancaster University aims to empower its students to pursue and achieve their career aspirations. The university’s commitment to career development extends beyond academic pursuits, preparing graduates for success in the competitive job market.
Lancaster University Reviews
Here are what students and past students say about Lancaster University:
One of the best universities in the UK. Has amazing teaching staff and a vast campus with a lot of great resources.
Great university and great location. I was an undergrad here and then a few years after graduation chose to study my PhD at Lancaster also as I felt it was the best place for me. The management school is fantastic for learning and also always happy to help for anyone who is struggling with any aspect of the course. The campus is fantastic, and often you will feel like you do not need to leave because everything is here, however, if you do then Lancaster city centre is a lovely place to visit and has all the shops, bars, restaurants, etc. that you need.
Happy to be here. Lancaster has a good public transportation system which connected with town and uni itself.
Lancaster University is one of the top ranking universities in the world. The learning facilities are very excellent.
Amazing uni! All round great experience, and Water Witch Open Mic every Wednesday night was ace.
- Official website: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk
- Address: Lancaster University,Lancaster,United Kingdom, LA1 4YW
- General information for international students: [email protected]
Apply for Lancaster University
Speak to us today for free application assistance and education advice. Our expert consultants are more than happy to help!
Apply For A UK University
Speak to us today for free application assistance and education advice. Our expert consultants are more than happy to help!